Read Across America
- Spirit Day-- Thursday, March 2nd will be "Wordy Thursday". Wear clothing with words on it!
- Book Drive-- We will be collecting new and gently used children's books to benefit the Wake Up and Read annual book drive. All books donated will be shared with children in Wake County who might not have access to books over the upcoming summer months. Families can send in books from March 1st-March 4th. Students can bring book donations to the media center. Just think, if every student at our school donates just 1 book, we'll be able to share more than 1,000 books with students in need in Wake County! You can find out more about Wake Up and Read's book drive here: http://wakeupandread.org/donate/donate-your-books/
- Read -A-Thon-- Davis Drive Elementary PTA is sponsoring a Read-a-Thon Fundraiser. Students will login to their personal accounts to log reading hours from February 20, 2017 through March 6, 2017. The money raised from last year's program provided 60 iPads, upgraded Kindergarten playround equipment and supported many other programs.
Do we need a (pretend) pet for our library? What pet should we get?
Use library resources (PebbleGo, Britannica, NetTrekker, and nonfiction books) to do research about different kinds of pets.
Grades K-2 can write or draw on paper or use TuxPaint to tell Mrs. Bock what kind of pet would be a good fit for our library and why.
Grades 3-5 should use the form below to write a persuasive letter to Mrs. Bock to explain what pet would be best. Be sure to support your reasons with evidence from your research! You can work alone or with a partner.
- Can you write a Seuss-y story? Try creating your own rhyming story about books and reading!
- Challenge yourself to read Dr. Seuss books aloud with a friend. They can be tricky and tongue-twistery! (Try Fox in Socks if you're really brave!). Practice getting the rhythm of the story just right.